Wednesday 26 December 2018

Super Mario Land 2 Six Golden Coins - Review


It's Christmas time!  A time of family, friends, engagements and awesome gifts.  I've wanted to play Super Mario Land 2 6 Golden Coins for ages, so naturally, I was pretty stoked to get it for Christmas.  Thanks Nollsy!  Super Mario Land 2 6 Golden Coins was originally released back in 1992, I only ever borrowed it from friends and I never owned it, until now.  While Nolls tore into some of the new books I got her I decided to play Super Mario Land 2 6 Golden Coins.


Lullaby milk is great!  It tastes great and really helps you get a good nights sleep.  I know some people don't like milk, they are odd people.  There is something so comforting about milk it reminds of being a kid.  Playing Super Mario Land 2 6 Golden Coins I found myself asking was this the creamy comforting goodness I remembered?




Story

Like many games of the time, the story is simple.  The evil Wario decides to take control over Mario's Island along with his castle.  Mario needs to collect a golden coin from each of the six zones and use them to unlock the castle gate.  Once inside Mario needs to traverse the castle and kick out mean and slightly crazy Wario.


Overall the story is simple and to the point but that isn't a bad thing.  The simplicity is what makes it so fun.




Visuals

There is something so fun about 8-Bit graphics, it's amazing the fact so much could be made with so little.  The game has some great visuals, running around the innards of a living whale was fun, or the spooky graveyard and of course traversing the tree zone.


Overall the visuals are fantastic, they might be 25 years old but they don't feel like they have aged.



Music 


There is something about hearing 8-Bit music that just makes me smile.  The music is very upbeat and positive, even the boss battles and Wario's Castle.  The soundtrack is created by Japanese composer Kazumi Totaka.  Totaka has worked on Tetris, Dr Mario, Animal Crossing, Wii Sports, Pikmin 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Yoshi's Island DS to name but a few.


The soundtrack is a little shy of thirty minutes.  My favourite tracks included; 'Choose Pipe', 'Mario Zone', 'Pumpkin Zone', 'Athletic', Graveyard', 'The Moon', 'Invincibility', 'Boss Battle' and 'Wario's Castle'.


Overall the soundtrack is fantastic and is so much fun!





Gameplay


Super Mario Land 2 6 Golden Coins is a classic platformer.  As with almost all Mario games, there are hidden areas and lots of fun power-ups including my favourite fire flower.  Instead of getting an extra life for every hundred coins you collect you can play the slots and try to win them or other items.


The enemies are fun and for the most point are not too awkward with the exception of some of the bosses, the worst being the one in Space Zone and Wario himself.  To be fair Wario isn't the worst but the enemies just before him are awkward and I found myself losing my power-ups to them.


Overall the gameplay is fun and reminds of me the games I used to play growing up.





Final Thoughts


So, after a few hours of playing how did I feel?  Pretty good!  Super Mario Land 2 6 Golden Coins is a classic game.  It has a light story, fun visuals and music, along with great gameplay.  I'm glad I finally have it in my collection and look forward to playing it in the future.  This one gets 4 out of 5






No comments:

Post a Comment