Monday 13 August 2018

Late Shift - Review


I was recently sent an email by Limited Run Games notifying me that they would be releasing a physical copy of a game called Late Shift.  I had never heard of the game before but was curious to know more, after a small amount of research later I decided I had to play it.  I didn't have the patience to wait so I downloaded it from the PlayStation store and so began my journey with Late Shift.


Oreos.  I have grown to really like those little biscuits known as Oreos, some of their flavors I enjoy more than others.  My favorites are probably the white chocolate covered ones and the peanut butter ones.  From time to time I like to enjoy the chocolate creme ones, I can only have a few at a time because I find them a little much.  Playing Late Shift I found myself asking what kind of Oreo was I enjoying, and was it too much?





Story


The story has you take on the role of Matt, a student just trying to get by.  Matt works the late shift at a parking garage, on what seems like an average night he investigates a noise and ends up having his whole world turned upside down.  Matt is caught up in a crime that will end up having him fight for his life.  How will he survive?  Who will he help?  Who will be hurt?


The game has you make a lot of decisions for Matt, some big, some small but almost all of them have consequences.  The game features seven endings so there is a good bit of replayability, which is always a plus.


Overall Late Shift has a pretty solid story that held my interest from beginning to end and is definitely an experience I won't be forgetting soon.




Visuals


It's hard to flaw the visuals when they are movie quality, the sets look great and take you from the mundanity of a parking garage to sophistication of an auction house.  In honesty, I can't really go into detail without spoiling the experience for you.


Overall it is visually entertaining and while it may not look like your average game it is still pretty good.



Music


The soundtrack has a kind of electronic feel, that really is just backing music, but that's not to say it's bad.  The music is composed by Cyril Boehler, and the additional music is by Harry Herchenworrth,  their works include music for the films; Mulhapar, Wilder, and Suck Me Shakespeer 1 and 2.


The score runs at just under an hour and while the soundtrack as a whole isn't amazing there were some good tracks, my favorites being,  'Intentness', 'Tchoi Action', 'Hainsworth', 'After Crash' and 'Pushin Your Chances'.


Overall the soundtrack is okay but it's not particularly memorable.




Gameplay


I love movies, I like to be entertained and sometimes just to zone out, but sometimes I wish I could be part of what's going on and that's where Late Shift comes in.  While watching the film/game you will have moments where you can choose answers to questions and decided which actions to take.  Depending on the decisions you make you will get different endings and even potentially miss chapters altogether.    The game has seven endings, ranging from really good to really bad, the first ending I got was really bad and I felt quite disappointed.  The feeling of disappointment from my first ending drove me to play it again straight away.


Overall I didn't have any issue with gameplay, it worked well and made me want to keep playing to make other decisions and see other endings.




Final Thoughts

So after a few hours of play how did I feel?  Not bad.  The story is pretty good, the visuals were good, the music was okay and the gameplay was engaging.  I liked playing and being part of Late Shift, and while I enjoyed the uniqueness of the game it's not something I can imagine going back to again and again.  Overall this one gets a solid 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment