Wednesday 7 November 2018

Lollipop Chainsaw - Review


I like most types of games, with the exception of maybe sports.  I really like when I find games that are off the wall, crass and not afraid to take risks, naturally I like Suda 51 games.  In particular Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw.   I recently decided to replay Lollipop Chainsaw, and below is what happened.


I like the occasional lollipop, that's not a euphemism.  I think it's because it reminds me of being a kid again, and enjoying being childish, I mean I still act childish now but not as much.  Chupa Chups is one of my favourites, I like the cola ones the best.   Playing Lollipop Chainsaw I found myself asking was this my cola flavoured lollipop?



Story


Juliet Starling is your average high school cheerleader.  Well apart from the fact she is a zombie hunter along with the rest of her family.  She has a regular popular high school boyfriend Nick...well sort of.  Due to a recent run-in with a zombie and a little ritual magic he is now living life as a head who now hangs off Juliet's hip.   Juliet with a little help of her family and Nick must save their town from the apocalypse.


Overall the story is a lot of fun, it's crass, and has a lot of subtle and not so subtle sexual innuendo.  It doesn't pretend to be more than it is and that's what makes it perfect and thoroughly enjoyable.




Visuals


You may expect that a game about zombies and the apocalypse would be quite dark and bleak.  In fact, it's almost the opposite.  The game is quite colourful, well apart from when you take on the bosses who are all evil musicians.   The visuals are in keeping with the fun and silly vibe of the game which is part of its charm.


Overall the visuals manage to blend colourful, dark and fun together seamlessly.


Music 


The music is a blend of 80's and 90's pop music mixed with rock and a little metal.  The composer of the soundtrack is composer Akira Yamaoka.  His works include, Killer is Dead, Silent Hill Collection HD, Shadows of the Damned, Silent Hill 4: The Room, and Sparkster.


The soundtrack runs at well over two hours and apart from the music composed by Akira Yamaoka there is also music by Sleigh Bells, Human League, Joan Jett, Dead or Alive, Toy Doll, Skrillex and The Caradettes.  My favourite tracks include, 'Eat This, Yumil', 'Bowel Purge', '1000 Cigarettes', 'Lollipop' and 'Riot Rhythm'.


Overall a fun soundtrack that suits the tone of the game.



Gameplay


Lollipop Chainsaw is a naughty blend of comedy and horror and has you take control of cheerleader Juliet Starling.  It's a fun hack and slash game which starts with some basics attacks that later grows to slightly crazier attacks.  Juliet has her chainsaw and body to defeat zombies, her secret weapon is her boyfriend Nick.  The aim of the game is to kill all the dark purveyors and eventually the defeat the ultimate evil.   The only real issue it suffers with are on occasion some awkward camera angles.


The game is full of crass comedy and sexual innuendo and some of the dialogue used in the game had me in stitches.  Some of my favourite Juliet lines being, "...you're like a cute little kitten that can't speak Japanese", "...the dumbest, most explodiest birthday cake ever", and "don't be a racist against cows Nick".


Overall it's a fun game and as long as you're not easily offended and enjoy killing zombies you'll love it!




Final Thoughts

So, after little over five hours how did I feel?  Pretty damn good!  It was great revisiting Lollipop Chainsaw and who knows next time I might try to finish it on the Very Hard mode.  The story is fun and often inappropriate, visually it's colourful, musically it's pretty good and the gameplay is lots of fun.  Overall this one gets a solid 4 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment