Sunday 30 December 2018

River City Tokyo Rumble - Review


It's nearly 2019, another whole year has gone by.  2018 has certainly been challenging for many reasons but I hope next year will be a lot more positive.  I am now going into the New Year with my fiance (Hi Nolls!) who I proposed to at Christmas.  One of the first games I played this year was River City Melee Battle Royale SP, so it seems fitting that the last game of this year is also from the River City series.


I like crisps and crisp like things.  Something I tried recently was Doritos Collisions Habanero Chilli and Guacamole.  It was an odd choice for me as I like hot stuff but I'm not into guacamole.  I certainly have reservations about them but I still liked them.  Playing River City Tokyo Rumble I found myself asking how tasty was it really?



Story


Kunio-Kun the teenage delinquent is back and this time there is a group of bad guys who are trying to take over Tokyo called The Tokyo Lion's Alliance.  He won't have to do go it alone and characters from previous games will be willing to help you.  The game doesn't have a lot of content in the way of story but that's okay, a simple story can still be a good one.


Overall the story is a little cheesy and after beating enemies you sometimes get dialogue talking about the importance of friendship.  It's not an awesome story but isn't a bad one either.





Visuals


The visuals are fun and retro.  The places you visit in Tokyo aren't very big but each of them looks very different.  One of my favorite areas was near the end of the game where you get to go to a movie set in Hong Kong.  The enemies are varied enough in design and often wear quite colorful outfits. 


Overall I liked the visuals, the only thing which was disappointing was that the places you visit can feel a little lifeless as you only really encounter enemies.  



Music


The soundtrack has an 8-Bit style sound which is similar to other games in the series.  This should come as no surprise as Japanese composer Kazuo Sawa created the music for the River City Series, along with the music for, Super Dodge Ball, Alien Syndrome, and Double Dragon II to name but a few.


The soundtrack is just under an hour long and my favorite tracks included 'Dangerous Premonitions',
'Shopping Song', 'Rushing Renegade', 'Rumble In The Slums', and 'Girl Gang Boss From Hell'.


Overall the soundtrack is good but I didn't think it was as good or as memorable as River City Melee Battle Royale SP.




Gameplay


The gameplay is pretty fun and is a classic beat-em-up.  The game provides you with some basic moves and as you progress you can purchase new ones.   There are shops to buy food, medical supplies, and equipment.


There are mini side missions which although are fairly dull do provide you with some extra income. I know this might seem an unusual thing to say but the game is supposed to a beat em' with RPG elements but I never really felt that way.  Sure you character gains experience over time and you level up, there are a few weak side missions and some relatively minor character interactions but nothing major.  I think the game should have gone the whole hog and either be a pure beat-em-up or focused more on being an RPG.


The enemies for the most part are not too hard, the only ones that gave me real difficulty were Ultra Lion and the Final Boss battle.  While learning a few extra moves can be really helpful it gets to the point where you won't really need to invest in others.  Perhaps on harder difficulties, they would become more essential.


Outside of the main story, there is a Battle Royale and a Dodgeball mode.  Playing through the main story unlocks different characters you can use for each of the other modes.


Overall the gameplay is good but certainly felt the RPG elements failed to a degree.




Final Thoughts

So, after playing for just under ten hours how did I feel?  Not bad.  The story was simple and a little cheesy at times but good overall.  The visuals weren't bad but the world felt a little lifeless at times, the music was alright but not very memorable.  The gameplay had some great moments but was lacking in the RPG department.  This is now the 48th game I've played this year and gets a 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment