Friday 18 October 2019

Erica - Review



I added Erica to the list of games I wanted to play this year, the weird thing is that I don't even remember where I heard about it.  Maybe I am just getting old or have Alzheimer's...or have Alzheimer's. Last year I played the interactive film Late Shift, and while I enjoyed it enough it felt a little underwhelming. It didn't stop me wanting to play other interactive films though.


While I enjoy a lot of foods that are bad for my health there is one in particular that I know I should stop eating, the Sausage and Egg McMuffin meal that comes with a hashbrown and coffee.  I always buy the meal, pull out the egg-like substance, and replace it with a hash brown.  It is full of grease but it tastes so good, or maybe that is why it tastes so good?  It is a snack and won't fill me for long but I still keep eating them.  Playing Erica I found myself asking was this the breakfast I needed?



Story


This is the first game from London-based games developer Flavourworks and as with any interactive film it heavily story-based. The game has you take control of Erica Mason (played by Holly Earl). Tragedy struck her family at early age memories and nightmares still haunt her.  After getting an unexpected package she calls the police to investigate.  It is not long before she is brought to her father's workplace - an institute for those with problems, but what kind?  Quickly the story changes from being something slightly mysterious to an episode of X-Files or Millennium.   What is the truth? Who can you trust?  Is Erica losing her mind?


Overall the story is well written and with multiple endings gives you an excuse to replay it a few times.  The actors are really good, especially Holly Earl's performance.




Visuals


Due to the visuals being live-action it is difficult to judge it in the same way as standard video games. The sets look and feel real (I mean really real), from Erica's apartment to Delphi House where you will spend most of your time while playing.  The visuals can sometimes be blurry but this done on purpose to help cause disorientation and general unease.


Overall the sets look great and have the same production value you would expect to see any TV show or film.


Music 


The soundtrack features somber and eerie tones that work so well with the story.  It was created by American composer, Austin Wintory.  Wintory has worked on many tv series, movies and video games including Journey and Assassins Creed Syndicate.


The soundtrack is just shy of being an hour long and features some brilliant tracks. Unlike normal where I pick my favorites, I can't this time, because the soundtrack, in my opinion, is flawless. Overall I feel the soundtrack is just as vital to the game as the story itself.




Gameplay

The gameplay and story are almost arguably the same in Erica.  That being said there are a number of hands-on elements. There are two ways the game can be played with the touchpad on the Dual Shock Controller or with your smartphone.  It is nice to have the option but felt a little unneeded.  The controls were a little awkward because it is more like you are navigating with a mouse, but I got used to it quickly enough. There will be doors to open, documents to look at and a nice feature is clearing dust from a sign or illuminating memories by swipe your fingers continuously over the touchpad.


Of course, there are questions you will be asked and ask, it is up to you what option to pick.  While I have no doubt there are bad endings in the game there isn't time to think much about your options and I just went with my gut.


Overall while playing Erica there was no point where I felt bored or mind wondered I was fully engrossed in it throughout.  This is a tall order in a game where the gameplay itself or the interactions can sometimes be infrequent.




Final Thoughts

So, after a few hours how did I feel?  Great, curious and wanting to know more.  The story is well written, the visuals look great, the music is perfect.  The only slight hurdle is getting used to using the touchpad, which is something I rarely use.  Overall though this one gets a solid 4 out of 5













No comments:

Post a Comment