Monday 1 November 2021

A Way Out - Review

 


I have been considering playing A Way Out by Swedish studio Hazelight for a long while, what put me off originally from playing it was there being no choice but to play the game in Co-Op. While I like a little Co-Op I also like the freedom to choose. Recently saw it on sale in the PlayStation Store and my partner in crime Nollsy said she would love to give it a go, and give it a go we did.


Anyone that knows me knows I like a bit of spice, a bit heat if you will. One day someone suggested Wasabi Coated Peanuts and I thought yeah sounds good. They were not. There is heat there but is so intense it feels like battery acid was running down the back of my throat. I like heat, I really do, but this no. Playing A Way Out I found myself asking was this just simply not to my taste or was it truly something that burns the back my throat?




Story


The game starts with Leo and Vincent in prison, not exactly friends and not exactly enemies. They are working together to try and break out of prison and take revenge on the man who wronged them both. The story is split into bite size chapters, and the whole game can be finished in one decent sitting. Throughout the game you will be able to make choices as to whether to do things Leo's way (direct and often aggressive) or Vincent's (diplomatic, stealthy). 


While I enjoyed (for the most part) my journey of getting to know and Leo and Vincent the end section was a bit of deal breaker. There was a kid when I going to school who decided swallowing a holly leaf was a good idea (spoiler alert it wasn't) and it stuck in the back of throat. The discomfort level must have been extreme. My feeling towards the ending left me feel in discomfort.




Visuals


The art style used in the game is quite unique providing some both a detailed and simplistic look. The characters are the simplistic element, as you can see in the image above the are details to both characters but look like they are missing a bit of polish. The back drops and many of the objects are a lot more detailed. The look and feel of the prison was one of my favorite areas it felt like an old prison, the kind the brought back memories of Escape From Alcatraz staring Clint Eastwood.


Overall the visuals are one of the strong elements of the game and would be interested to see more games in this art style.



Music


There is certainly a moody and reflective sound conjured mostly by guitars and banjos and suits the game exceptionally well. The composer behind the soundtrack are; Gustaf Grefberg (The Darkness, Wolfenstein: New Order, Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons) and Sam Hulick (Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Mass Effect 1-3).


The soundtrack run at around thirty minutes and while that may not sound like a lot, sometimes that is all the time needed. There is no wasted second and with a soundtrack like this all tracks are my favorite. Overall the soundtrack is short but very sweet.







Gameplay



It's all about teamwork, there is no lone wolfing it, Vincent and Leo (Barry and Nolls) need each other every step of the way. The gameplay is pretty linear, but that's okay. There are so many great examples of teamwork throughout the game: one that occurs earlier on is you are both trying to escape your cells, one of you stands guard while the others tries to unscrew and remove the toilet in their cell and then vice versa - it is tense, really tense but great, there will be many moments like this throughout the game.


The only real let down gameplay wise is when shooting, the weapons don't feel great, aim is sloppy and a headshot is not as effective as it should be.


Overall the gameplay for at least 70%-80% is pretty good but some poor shooting mechanics drag it down a bit.





Final Thoughts


So, after just over six hours how did I/we feel? So, so. The story has some great parts to it but the ending really lets it down, offering only two ending, one as bad as the other. The visuals are interesting and would like to see other games with the same art style. Music was solid as a rock and could not have been any better. The gameplay for a large portion of the game but unfortunately, like the story it really lets itself down. Overall this one gets a 3 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment