Thursday 10 December 2015

What Kind Of CD? MEGA!!!








I had this 50 year old neighbor living next door to me growing up & she always seemed to buy whatever the latest Sega console was.  She bought the Master System, Mega Drive & then later bought the Mega CD.  I never could of pictured her as a gamer when I first met but as always it proves looks can be deceiving, as was the case with Mega CD.

It was not a stand alone console in its original form & you needed to own a Mega Drive to play it. When you turned the Mega Drive upside down there was a removable section which revealed an expansion port. You then could connect this into the Mega CD. When the two parts were connected together it made the console rather large & not the prettiest looking thing in the world.  What it lacked in visual design it made up for in graphics & game play.




There were two games I played a lot when I used to visit my neighbor. The first was Sonic CD a game that had a very futuristic look & brought in a new enemy - Metal Sonic.  Metal Sonic was bad ass, he was like Sonic but all Metal!  I remember the intro animation for the game it was really fun & it made me look forward to battling Dr Robotnik.  Well worth the look & is available as a downloadable rom.

Then there was Cobra Command. You were a helicopter pilot fighting the good fight against terrorists trying to destroy the free world.  There were two very stand out missions for me; New York & Easter Island (I know its not the real name but I love it).  The first is the opening level which places you in New York. As you begin the mission you are heading towards the Statue of Liberty but wait...look out helicopter fire incoming - PULL UP!! PULL UP!! I was hooked from that moment on.

While dispatching enemies with your guns & missiles you also had to pay attention to what your co-pilot told you.  If that guy told you swing left you did it or died pretty quick.  As for Easter Island what can I say?  You got to fly around the island nearly colliding with Giant Heads (which would be a great name for a Talking Heads tribute band!) & blowing up enemies whilst doing your best not to destroy the island itself. Very very cool!

Honorable mentions on the Mega CD; Sol-Feace, okay that is all. I really only played these three games.  I would have loved to play others but I was kid - didn't exactly have the money to buy the games plus it was my neighbors console!  Playing the console all those years ago was a great experience & I wonder should I buy myself a Mega CD for Christmas? Hmm - maybe, maybe.


Your order has been dispatched it should be with you in the next 3-5 business days.






No comments:

Post a Comment